11.03.2006

Using the "good stuff"


How many of us have tucked back in the dark recessses of our art spaces those precious items we are saving "for good"? I don't know if this is a generational thing... when I was a child we had clothing "for good", china and silverware and table cloths "for good". I have to admit that it did make special occassions all that more special, using items that were only lovingly brought out only once or twice a year. However - that concept of saving things that were considered "special" has carried over into my art life. I have drawers full of paper, embellishments, photographs, fabric that are awaiting their debut in a particularly wonderful project. I am partcipating in a Christmas matchbox ornament swap (hosted by sweet Danielle) and sat down today to rummage though my piles of "stuff". And came upon these cute vintage angels given to me many years ago. ... which I was saving "for good". Well - the decision has been made - today is the day! No more hoarding unique supplies. The value I place on these things can't even come close to the value I place on those people that will receive these little pieces of art. Why wait?! What has given me pleasure will hopefully bring some measure of joy to someone else.
Now off to dig out those beautiful garnet colored crystal glasses... dinner tonight will be "special"!!!!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great way to spread "the good" - these boxes are a delight to the eye, I think the recivers will be thrilled, I know I would have been!

Saturday, November 04, 2006 4:07:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I love how you put that! "The value of these things doesn't come close to the value of the people you are making the item for." That is priceless. Thank-you for that perspective!
Crystal

Saturday, November 04, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Yay! I love hearing artists talk like this. I think coming to this position about your *good* stuff is like opening the door to the endless possibilities of creative joy!

Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger primdollie said...

Oh these are absolutely beautiful!!! and yes I know exactly what you mean about saving things for "good"!!!!! I too do that and am trying to stop doing it but it's a slow go!! and boy those who get these beauties will be so very lucky!!!!

Sunday, November 05, 2006 6:08:00 PM  
Blogger vicci said...

Yes!!!! I do this all the time..."I'll save this for just the special perfect thing"....great post!!! I love the matchboxes...

Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Shari Beaubien said...

Where on earth do you find pine boughs to cradle your 12 Days presents in? You crack me up! Lovely. And I love your matchbox ornaments! How cute are those?!?! That looks like a fun swap!
Hugs, Shari

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen Robinson said...

Oh these are truly to die for I love love love them!!!!!!!!! Your website looks lovely as well not to mention the header on your blog.

Monday, November 06, 2006 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle Muller said...

ooohhhhh....can't wait to see these babies in person! thanks for using the "good stuff"! blessings.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your blog. It's wonderful!
:-)

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These little ornaments are beautiful. And little angels are a perfect fit. They say, there will always be something "good" to find in the future, so use those treasures now! But it's hard for me too. Going to dig out the good stuff.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Small Treasures said...

Hi Deb, thank you so much for your nice comments on my blog. Your ornaments are beautyful. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who receives one?! Nicole

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Holly Loves Art said...

Oh... these are absolutely wonderful! And I can completely relate about the 'good' stuff. The recipients will no doubt be thrilled!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger Maija said...

Brilliant train of thought, Deb. I have so many wonderful things I am saving for just the right momment....
What a beautiful way to use your little treasures.

Friday, November 10, 2006 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger deb said...

Hey Deb...I know exactly what you mean! Good on ya for actually using some of your treasures. I plan to follow suit.

Cheers,
Deb

Friday, November 10, 2006 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri Jean said...

these are gorgeous (I found your blog via Patti Gramza's). In our house, we even had "show towels" - that is bath towels hanging right within reach of your wet hands, that were only for guests!! I just did the same thing with an ATC swap - the swap through which I "met" Patti Gramza - I used some wonderful artgirlz charms and other beads that I was hoarding!! Wonderful sentiment.

Monday, November 13, 2006 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOWZers!!!These matchbook ornaments ROCK THE HOUSE!!!! You are so talented Deb. Great work...xoxo

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home