2.04.2007

Familiar Phrases


I will not be posting much artwork for a while... am in the middle of completing some long-term projects...but thought I would share these interesting little tidbits I found today in a really unique old book titled "Modern Book of Thoughts" published in 1930. The book contains a lot of quotes from Shakespeare, English poets and Proverbs. One section in the book is "Familiar Phrases" which gives the origins of phrases that we still use today. I thought it was really interesting to see how old some of them actually are:

"Birds of a feather flock together" - Plato
"As busy as a bee" - Chaucer 1386
" Cherchez la femme (Find the Woman)" - Alexander Dumas
"As pleased as Punch" - Charles Dickens in "Hard Times"
" A closed mouth catches no flies" - Cervantes in "Don Quixote"
" Here's you hat, what's your hurry?" - B. Costello 1904 song title
"Swan Song" - Plato
"O.K." - archives of Sumner County in Tennessee 1796 - was a mistake for
"O.R." (Order Recorded)
"Who loves me loves my dog also" - St. Bernard 1150
"By hook or crook" - John Wycliffe 1380 - based on the custom of allowing
tenants as much timber as could be gathered with their hook (staff) and
crook.

And that completes my lesson for today!!

I also want to thank everyone who has sent me get well wishes and prayers... am on the road to recovery and I have gained much strength from my friends!

Have a great week everyone!

Artwork above from an altered mini composition book

9 Comments:

Blogger Patti G. said...

"OK" is my favorite there Deb!!! Hope you are feeling better!
I love the ab above too! VVvvvvvery beautiful colors and feel!
Hugs,
Patti

Monday, February 05, 2007 7:17:00 AM  
Blogger One Crabapple said...

Love the composition book page !

It was such fun to go thru and read these and you are right ! how surprising - some everyday comments we make being 700 years old !!!! Verrry interesting.

I am reading Hard Times RIGHT NOW ! so that was funny - I was PLEASED AS PUNCH to see that one listed there !

I do hope you are feeling better ... and what the heck is actually going on with you anyway Dear Girl ???

Love, S.

ps I come over all the time to look at those journal pages you did....the heart ....they are just so beautiful and inspiring !

Monday, February 05, 2007 5:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always interested in the origin of words and everyday phrases. Thanks, Deb, for the enlightenment here!

Monday, February 05, 2007 8:31:00 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

Your artwork in this post is fabulous! My favorite color is orange and your spread just speaks to me.
-shari

Monday, February 05, 2007 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Love the Costello quote. Have a vague memory of experiencing that. LOL

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 1:33:00 AM  
Blogger Dawnie said...

Very interesting my dear Deb. I always find quotes very thought provoking , so thankyou for that.

Just adore your pages in your mini book.Your use of colour is yummy.

Love your style and happy positive thoughts sent your way for a speady recovery.

look after youself

dawn

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I love knowing that simple sayings we use without thinking actually have an origin sometimes dating back centuries...and from the most likely person or place.
Thanks for the lesson!
I am also very glad to know you are feeling better!! I get concerned when you haven't posted in a few days!!
XOXOXO

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really funny! I was just thinking today about origins of certain phrases...
This is rather interesting, Deb.
Thank you for sharing this with us!
I'm so glad that you are feeling better!
Take care!
Have a Great evening!
:-)

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely quotes words to think about (hehehe).

XO
Kristen

Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home